This page shows you how to hide the marks from student view for an entire category, for an individual grade item or course total.
Course total is set as hidden by default and instructors are advised NOT to unhide it. This ensures that students do not see their grade until the instructor has finalised the grades and decided to release them. Unlike a Grade item or Grade category, Course total cannot be set to unhide at a specified time (Hidden until), it must be manually shown by the instructor.
Assignment grades can be rendered invisible to students in several ways other than through the Gradebook:
When to use
Use the hide/unhide feature to control when Moodle releases marks to your students and to specify which grade items students see in the Gradebook.
The best time to hide category or item grades from student view is when you are creating the category or item, or just after you’ve created the assessment activity. It's good practice to release all marks for the same item at the same time.
Hiding grades is generally done to prevent some students in a course knowing their mark before others. Keep the category or item hidden until all the marks have been recorded, and then release them all at once for student viewing.
Hiding grades is also useful during course design, when you don't want students to see changes you're making to a grade item or category.
Step by step instructions
To hide category or item marks:
- Navigate to the Gradebook: in the Settings block, under Course Administration, click Gradebook setup.
- Click Setup and display the view for Gradebook setup.
- Click Edit for the item or category
- To hide a category or item, click it's Hide icon . The change takes effect immediately. To unhide, click Edit agian and click it's Show icon.
- To hide it until a certain date, click the Edit Settings icon for the category or item and continue to the next step.
- On the Grade category or Grade item page, click Show more and select the Hidden check box.
- To specify when the grade will become visible, select Enable to the right of the date fields, and
- Select a day, a month, a year, an hour and a minute.
- Click Save changes.
If you experience technical or other issues, consult the Where to get help page.