Support for students
This page provides step-by-step instructions on how to log in to Moodle, access a course and log out, and what to do if your login fails.
Log in to Moodle
- Go to the Moodle Login page.
On the Web Single Sign On page, enter your User ID (your student number) and Password (your zPass) and click Agree & Sign on. The My home page displays, containing a list of links to all your Moodle courses.
Did your login fail?
Login may fail for a number of reasons:
You may not have entered either your User ID or Password correctly.
- In the USER ID field, ensure that you have typed a "z" before your student number.
- Your PASSWORD (your zPass) is case sensitive. Check on your keyboard that Caps Lock is not on.
- You may not be currently enrolled in the online course.
- If Census Date has passed, you may be denied access if you have not paid your course fees. Check your fees status in myUNSW. Once you pay your fees, it can take up to 4 days for service to be restored.
- If you have recently changed your course enrolment, your online access may not yet have been updated. Allow 2 working days for this to be done.
There may be a technical or administrative problem with your online access, in which case please contact your own Internet service provider or the UNSW IT Service Centre:
Email: [email protected]
Phone: internal x51333; from within Australia (02) 9385 1333; international +612 9385 1333
For all other Moodle issues contact External TELT Support:
Email: [email protected]
Phone: internal x53331; from within Australia (02) 9385 3331; international +612 9385 3331
- Log in to Moodle 2.
- On the Moodle home page, locate the course. You may have to use the search facility that is available from the Moodle Home link available at the top right of the page banner. Note that if your instructor has not made the course available, it will not display in the search results. Contact your instructor if you cannot locate your course.
- Click the name of the course. The course home page displays.
Click the following link for a video on how to access a course using a self enrolment key.
Once you are logged in, if you are inactive in Moodle for a substantial period, your session will time out. When you next access the Moodle page, the Login page will display with the message:
"Your session has timed out. Please log in again."
To log out of Moodle, click Logout at the right of the page banner, next to the message, "You are logged in as..."
If you are logged into more than one wSSO enabled application, be aware that your data is still accessible unless you close all browser windows. You will be prompted to switch to another wSSO application or shut down all applications at once.
Be security aware—don't allow browsers in computer labs or in the Library to remember your login credentials.