UNSW Visiting Teaching Fellowship
The Visiting Teaching Fellowships are designed to build connections with highly regarded educators across the tertiary sector. Initiated by a UNSW academic staff member, the visit will provide the opportunity to develop educational collaborations and facilitate interaction with Faculty staff and students. Visiting Teaching Fellows are expected to make a contribution to the educational work of the school and Faculty during the period of their stay. UNSW strongly encourages diversity in consideration of possible fellowship applications. The UNSW Visiting Teaching Fellowships are funded by the Education Focussed program.
Applications must be submitted by the UNSW academic hosting the visit. Visitors may come from either Australian or international institutions. Visiting Teaching Fellows are expected to be on campus full-time during the period of the fellowship and must visit for a period of no less than 2 weeks.
- Educational expertise and academic standing of the visitor.
- Capacity and experience of the host to ensure a successful visit.
- Proposed length of stay. It is expected that stays will be at least 2 weeks.
- Propose a clear program of activities – collaborative discussions and outcomes related to education, scholarship and teaching practice with cross-disciplinary application will be considered positively.
- Capacity of the visitor to initiate and promote ongoing educational collaborations with the host school and Faculty.
- Commitment from the Head of School to provide support and host the visitor, and the visit’s strategic alignment with School priorities.
Application period opens 9am Friday 27 May 2022 and closes 9am Friday 24 June 2022. Visits may occur anytime from mid-July onwards.
To be considered for a Visiting Teaching Fellowship, please follow the below procedure:
- Complete online application form.
- A cover letter (2-page maximum) from the host outlining:
- Schedule of activities – including expected outcomes for the school/Faculty. The plan should include the delivery of a seminar to be publicised to the Faculty.
- Itemised budget for the visit - daily allowances should not exceed UNSW rates and will generally be expected to be smaller per day for longer period visits. (Please contact your School/Centre Manager for current travel rates).
- How the visitor meets the selection criteria.
- Details of previous visits to UNSW, if any.
3. Copy of academic CV of the proposed visitor (4 pages maximum).
4. Letter of support from the Head of School specifying the facilities and/or resources to be provided and alignment with School priorities (1 page maximum).
*Sections 2-5 of the application MUST be compiled into a single PDF document before uploading.
Applications will be assessed by the Faculty’s Associate/Deputy Dean Education, along with the PVCESE fellowship committee.
The PVCESE through the Education Focussed program will provide up to $10,000 for each visitor to help cover the costs of the visit, depending upon length of stay and travel costs. The intention initially is for one visit per Faculty to be funded.
Visitors will be reimbursed by Schools using normal UNSW procedures. The PVCESE will transfer the allocated amount to a nominated account once the application has been approved. A brief report outlining the outcomes of the visit will be required within 4 weeks after the completion of the Fellowship.
There are a number of fellowships both nationally and internationally that individuals in higher education may be interested in applying for, to further their professional development. The following organisations offer fellowships in higher education:
- Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia (HERDSA): http://www.herdsa.org.au
- Higher Education Academy (HEA): https://www.heacademy.ac.uk
- Staff and Educational Development Agency (SEDA): https://www.seda.ac.uk