The Portfolio of the Pro Vice-Chancellor, Education & Student Experience is committed to supporting student access to, and participation in, blended and online learning. These guidelines have been written to support you in designing and developing accessible online content. They are mapped to the international Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, which specify three levels of conformance: A (lowest), AA, and AAA (highest).
This site considers levels A and AA, noting that AA is the minimum legal requirement in Australia and the standard you should aim to achieve.
To ensure your blended and online courses are accessible, you should:
- Design the online learning environment to guide and support student learning
- Ensure online content can be accessed by assistive technology
- Provide text alternatives for media
- Design for the various ways learners access and engage with online content
- Make iterative improvements.