This page tells you how to add content directly to a section of a course home page that is formatted as Collapsed Topics, Weekly format, Topic format or Grid format.
When to use
Use this page when you're beginning to create your Moodle course. Setting up your course home page well is essential to making your course accessible and comprehensible to your students.
Avoid crowding your course home page with more items than your students can process easily, and keep the navigation of your course as straightforward as possible.
Setting up your course home page well is essential to making the course accessible and comprehensible to your students. If you're new to creating courses in an LMS, to see how you might construct an effective and attractive course home page, look at these two Moodle demonstration courses:
The benefits of a well designed course, easy for Students to navigate and interact with, should be immediately obvious!
Step by step instructions
Add content to a course home page section
To rename and add text to a weekly or topic section on the course home page:
- Click Turn editing on at the top right of the page.
- Click the Edit summary icon at the top left or right of the relevant section. (If the course page format is Collapsed Topics, you will have to toggle the section open for the icon to be visible.)
- On the Summary page:
- change the Section name if necessary (you will have to deselect the custom check box to do this)
- add Summary information about the course, week or topic and
- click Save changes.
Moving course home page elements
You can drag and drop the following course home page elements to change their positions on the course home page:
- topics (including collapsed topics) and weekly sections—to change the order of topics, Select the Move section icon visible on the left of each Week/Topic and drag the section to its new position on the page.
- files—you can 'drag and drop' these in from the Explore/Finder window or desktop,
and then drag and drop them within and between topics using the Move icon (crossed arrows) on the left of the file name.
- activities and resources—click and drag them within and between topics using the Move icon on the right of the activity/resource name.
Add new blocks to the course home page
- Click Turn editing on at the top right of the page .
- Click the Add a block block at the bottom of the blocks column.
- Select the new block from the drop-down list. The new block displays in the block panel.
- Click the Move arrows in the block header. Drag and drop to the place where you want the block to be positioned.
To create a button table in the uppermost section of the course home page, to give students scroll-free access to your course week by week or topic by topic, watch the two videos on this page.
If you experience technical or other issues, consult the Where to get help page.