This page tells you how to create a Choice activity, and how to view students' responses to a Choice.
See the following page for a comparison of Choice, Feedback and Questionnaire activities.
When to use
Use the Choice tool to present students with a single question and a number of answers to choose from, for example, for a discussion starting-point, a quick poll, or to establish preferred arrangements for an excursion.
The Choice tool is a very flexible tool for gathering students' preferences quickly.
You can allow participants to change their choices several times before a close or lock-down date.
Step by step instructions
- On the course home page, click Turn editing on .
- In the relevant section, click Add an activity or resource, select Choice from the menu.
- On the Adding a new Choice page, click Expand all, then in the General section:
- Enter a Choice name.
- In the Description text box enter the question the students will make a choice about.
- Select the Display mode for the options you want the students to make (horizontal or vertical presentation).
- If you want to allow students to change their choice while the activity is still open, at Allow choice to be updated select Yes.
- If you want to allow students to select multiple options, at Allow more than one choice to be selected select Yes.
- If you want to limit the number of students who can select each option, at Limit the number of responses allowed select Yes.
- Enter each choice in an Option field, and enter Limit numbers if you have enabled limiting. Click Add 3 fields to form if you need to add more than 5 options.
- Under Availability, to restrict the answering to a time period, select the Restrict answering... check box and select the dates and times for which you want this choice to be available into the Open and Until fields. You can also select Show preview to make a preview available before the choice is opened for submission.
- Under Results, select whether you want results for this choice activity to display to students. If so, select whether you want the results to display anonymously, with an unanswered column and whether to include inactive/suspended users.
- Complete any further relevant sections of the page and click Save and display to check that the question and options display as you wish.
- On the course home page, click the Choice activity's link. The Responses page displays, where you can view a summary table and graph of the responses.
- Click the link at the upper right, View [number of responses] responses. A second Responses page displays, with individual responders listed for each option.
- You can select individual responses and delete them if necessary.
- You can also download the responses in ODS, Excel or text format.
If you experience technical or other issues, consult the Where to get help page.