The process of designing blended and online courses is covered in this section of the site.
Planning blended and online courses
Your overall course design
- Analyse your Students' Needs
- Start with the Learning Outcomes
- Build Graduate Capabilities
- Course Schedule Planning
- Resources Planning
- Student Workload Planning
Designing online assessments and learning activities
- Selecting technologies for blended and online learning
- See (Assessment Toolkit) for Selecting Assessment Technologies
- Group Tasks
- Creating Lesson Plans in Moodle
- Online Learning Activities
- Assessing Online Participation
Further practical course design help:
- Building your Menu Structure
- Accessibility Tips
- Course Materials and Copyright
- Design Review Checklist
Worksheets and Templates
Flowcharts, storyboards, sitemaps or even sticky notes can be used to plan and map the course or activity. You might want to use these worksheets and templates for course design.
- Online learning Activity Planner
- Online learning Technology Planner
- Blended approach Analysis Worksheet
- Design Model for online courses
- Learning Design Planner
- Resources Production Checklist
- University of Wollongong Templates for Online Learning Design
- Learning Design Toolkit
A good article about online courses for off-campus students:
- Ragan, L. W. (1999). Good Teaching is Good Teaching: An emerging set of Guiding Principles and Practices for the Design and Development of Distance Education Cause/Effect Journal 22(1), (viewed February 2012).
Seminars for UNSW staff
The Connections Seminar series and the annual Learning and Teaching Forum provide platforms for UNSW staff to explore different aspects of learning and teaching, share ideas and get feedback on practice and research.
These recordings and presentations related to assessment can be found on the respective Moodle course sites (self-enrolment key provided)
- 2019 Learning and Teaching Forum on 26 November 2019: Blended Learning - a holistic faculty approach beyond ILI, presented by Ms Karin Watson, Faculty of Art & Design (self-enrolment key: lntforum).