Getting off to a good start is very important; first impressions can make a big difference to how readily your students engage with your course. When you begin teaching, think about how you will create a classroom environment conducive to learning, develop a rapport with your students, build trust and respect, and clarify your expectations.
Well before the start of Semester, begin planning your course by considering the following:
- What do I want my students to learn?
(see Constructing Learning Objectives)
- How will my course be structured so they learn these things?
(see UNSW Course Outline Template)
- How do I want my students to learn?
(see Teaching Approaches and Strategies)
- Which technologies do I want to incorporate into my course?
(see eLearning - TELT)
- How will I tell whether my students achieved the course learning outcomes?
(see UNSW Assessment as Learning Toolkit)
The following checklists will help you in the planning stages of your teaching: